A lot of people tend to think that if their makeup, face-wash, shampoo, or any other beauty product is labeled “organic”, then it’s an all-natural, safe product, and that they’re pretty much a living green goddess! But the sad truth is, the terms organic, natural, non-toxic, plant-based, etc. don’t necessarily mean you’re putting clean and safe ingredients onto your body.
Most products label themselves as organic, and only have a small amount of organically grown ingredients. The rest is filled with cheap and harmful fillers. And, news flash, whatever you put onto your body, IS BEING ABSORBED INTO YOUR BODY! So that mysterious pimple on your face? Could be from that toxic face wash you used. Super dry scalp? Could be that chemical-filled conditioner. Not only can these products affect your physical appearance, but these toxins can disrupt hormones, cause diseases after long-term use, and cause several other nasty things in our body! Lathering these harmful toxins onto our bodies daily is just about as healthy as smoking 6 packs of cigarettes throughout the day on top of your straight soda and mac-n-cheese diet.
Still on the fence on whether you believe the mumbo-jumbo that most beauty products are REALLY bad for you? Click the link below to read about the shocking discovery by UC Berkeley scientists who saw a dramatic drop in toxin levels in teenage girls in just three days after switching their everyday beauty products to truly all-natural products.
Not only are these toxic products bad for you, but they also can be toxic for the environment! When you wash them down the sink, or toss them away, these chemicals make their way into the environment, and build up in habitats and within living things.
So how do I know if my beauty products are safe to use?!
- Download the app “Think Dirty”. This app allows you to type in a product or scan its barcode, and it rates its toxicity on a scale from 0-10, 0 being the cleanest, 10 being the dirtiest! When you click on the product, it lists the ingredients that are bad and the possible side effects from them. It also offers a lot of discounts on natural products and notifications when new clean products are on the app!
- Shop on the Detox Market! Almost every product they sell is all-natural and clean to use. They also have a blog to keep you up to date on products and healthy living.
- Do your research! Learn for yourself which products and ingredients to look out for. There are a lot of great blogs, articles, and YouTube videos out there to make you a pro on green products! A great blog to start with that normally features articles on clean beauty products is The Chalkboard.
What are your favourite eco-friendly beauty products?
Latest posts by Serina Hughes (see all)
- JUDGE’S DECISION MAY HELP SAVE ENDANGERED RED WOLVES - December 13, 2018
- Are Your Beauty Products Eco-Friendly? - December 5, 2018
- Saving Belize’s Tapirs (What Even is a Tapir)? - August 21, 2018