Stop throwing away your carrot tops!! They make delicious pesto, and you should go buy carrots right now and make carrot top pesto with them. It’s yummy, easy, cuts down on food waste, and did I mention it tastes amazing!
What do you put carrot top pesto on you may ask? Well the options are limitless! You can put it on pasta, pizza, spaghetti squash. You can also go crazy and use it as a dip for veggies, or on crackers or toast!
- Carrot tops (I suggest cutting of some of the stalks so it isn’t super stringy)
- ¾ to 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup nutritional yeast (optional, you can also use parmesan)
- Salt and peper to taste
- ~¾ cup olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Save those carrot tops! Use the leafy ends and cut off some of the stalky ends (the first time I made it I didn’t do this and it was pretty stringy).
- Put carrot tops, almonds, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor.
- Add more olive oil if you need, until it is a good consistency. Taste and add more salt/pepper if needed.
What are you going to use your carrot top pesto on?
All throughout the news, and in my classes, the majority of the narratives we learn about are negative – ocean acidification, deforestation, biodiversity loss, coral bleaching, plastic pollution, the list goes on and on. Some days I ask myself “What’s the point? Why do anything if we are all f@cked anyway?” Well there is a point, there is hope, and we need to keep fighting the good fight and remind ourselves of the success stories and the positivity.