Are you still looking for a Christmas gift idea? If you prefer simple and sustainable presents and have some old t-shirts or old loose pieces of fabric hanging around, here is a simple and fun DIY tutorial for drawstring bags that will hold all kinds of Christmas goodies. Your friends and family are going to love them!
For this, you will need:
– muslin or printed cotton of your choosing
– sewing machine or needle
– matching thread
– cord or string
1. Select the fabric you wish to use in your bags. Rescue that old blouse or t-shirt you haven’t worn in forever and have some fun with it!
2. Cut the fabric into the shape of a rectangle (e.g. 5’’X 12’’) and fold it in half. Fold out the top seams by ½’’ for the string tunnels. In this example, the dimensions of the finalized bags are 4.5” X 5.5” but you are free to adapt as you wish.
3. Sew the sides, adding ¼’’ seam allowance for your side seams, up to the tunnel fold.
4. Sew the top seams, leaving the tunnel entrances open on the sides.
5. Cut the bottom corners of the bag, so when you turn it inside out, the bag shape will be softer and not “pointy”.
6. Turn the bag inside out.
7. Pass the cords or strings trough the tunnels on each side and tie them together. Use a safety pin pinned to one of the string ends to help you pass it through the tunnel.
8. Fill the bags with your favourite goodies. Anything works, from loose leaf tea or infusions to nuts, biscuits, or sweets. Finally, surprise your loved ones with this thoughtful and unique zero-waste present.
What do you think about handmade gifts? Are you in the habit of giving new life to your old belongings?
Growing up surrounded by nature, Maria’s idea of a perfect scenario resumes itself to a green, sunny and quiet one. She loves to cook vegan food (and even more to eat it), long one-on-one chats, to swim in the ocean, live music, to play the ukulele and a good book.
Her life goal is to travel the world, saving wildlife species and habitats.