One of my meals that I am making this week is homemade pizzas. I wanted to try making my own pizza sauce, but all of the recipes I found required canned diced tomatoes. Most cans (to my knowledge), have a plastic lining in them – which I would like to avoid, also making your own is always better! I found a recipe online to make your own “canned diced tomatoes,” and this recipe is my variation of it.
- vine tomatoes (I had 10 tomatoes, so that’s how many I used)
- garlic (optional)
- oregano (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Wash tomatoes and place them in boiling water.
- Let tomatoes sit in boiling water for about 1 minute.
- Put tomatoes in bowl with ice water (I didn’t have any ice, so just used cold water, and it worked fine).
- Let tomatoes sit in ice water/cold water for about 1 minute until they have cooled.
- Take the peels of the tomatoes – once they have cooled the peels should come off very easily.
- Dice peeled tomatoes.
- Simmer diced tomatoes with salt any seasonings you choose to use (since I was making sauce for pizzas with it, I used garlic, oregano, and salt).
- Once the simmered tomatoes have cooled, you can store them in the fridge for a week or so, or freezer.